Wednesday, October 24, 2012

How Can You Know You're Present?

I've posted a new paper online: 'How Can You Know You're Present?'

Abstract:



Some argue that non-presentist A-theories face an epistemic objection: if they were true, then we could not know whether we are present.  I argue that the presentist is in no better an epistemic position than the non-presentist.  In §1 I introduce the sceptical puzzle: I look at two ways in which the non-presentist could claim that our experiences give us evidence for our presentness, but find each wanting.  In §2, I argue that the puzzle also faces the presentist, and that a number of potential solutions either fail or are equally available to the non-presentist.  I conclude by defending one solution to the puzzle.

3 comments:

Search said...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Metaphysical-Holistic-Healing-art/198935266857303?ref=hl

Christopher Jarrett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher Jarrett said...

I love this post. I think that living in the present means, only focusing on the things are are in motion for example: Present = I am headed to the grocery store.

Past= I have been needing to go to the grocery store for a while now. Future= I will head to the grocery store in a few minutes. By living in the present, you have more power of the current situation and it allows you to create the circumstances.

http://thedistnction.com speaks more about creating circumstances, using the power of the present. I encourage everyone to visit!